Chaw Ei Thein Skypes in to share her work


Chaw Ei Thein, an artist activist from Burma now living in New York, taught a lesson on using painting to reappropriate camouflage. Here is her lesson plan:

I am teaching a lesson related to my recent project (in process) using camouflage fabric.
I paint on it and cut it to arrange a new idea.
The main idea is to change its original concept/context about camouflage to be more positive, better one. When the people see camouflage they will feel like Military wear/ use/ material/ war.
So I would like to change that context to something more of a good thing. I will demonstrate why I am interested in this material to create art work, how I use this material, and I will also show my finished work. Then I will let them explore their own ideas with this material.

You can learn more about her work here, and view our previous Skype lesson exchange with her here.

Below are photos from the class as well as Chaw Ei Thein's recent works that inspired this lesson.






 











1 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that I was busy with my "The Equal" band which I will have to play on Saturday and practicing on that day. May be you'll see it through facebook. I missed it according to it. But, I'm glad that it worked well.

    ReplyDelete