pilot program

Here's us at the orientation meeting, John Glenn is named after the astronaut


Why is this happening?

Kids have more fun:
I've been facilitating art projects (scroll down to see) with these kids since 2009, so most of them have already done my lessons several times, and I think they'd be excited to learn different things from artists with other skills.

Artists get paid:
This the first time I've received funding for this work, so I'm eager to demonstrate the importance of paying artists.

Educators get support:
We get to make a space where educators who innovate, imagine, collaborate, and experiment are encouraged and communally supported. 

We get a break from going it alone:
Many artists, not formally trained as teachers, nonetheless are free agent educators who work with young students. We have a wealth of knowledge, but could use more of the support, community, and critical dialog with other artists. So here's a series of occasions to share with each other.

Refugee population gets exposure:
Refugee community leaders have been urging that they want Houston to know that they are here. Hopefully, the projects that result from this experience can amplify the voice of these populations, but more importantly, maybe the exchange of creative skills can make sure they speak for themselves. 

This is the pilot season for Sunblossom Residency. That means I don't entirely know what I'm doing and I'm making plenty of mistakes. But I do know what inspired me: alternative artist-run residencies like Ayanna Jolivet McCloud's School of Latitudes at LabotanicaDario Robleto's Think Tank, and Sarrita Hunn and Ryan Thayer's Many Mini at Skydive

2 comments: